Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Accuracy

It's always hard to know how accurate anything really is, especially when dealing with the news. There is sort of this unwritten rule that whatever is labeled as news we assume is accurate and true. So in the article that I read in the Bangor Daily News about the superintendent of RSU 67 changing his mind on allowing his students to watch Obama's speech, I assume that all the quotes and all the info is true, even though I have no proof of this. And I think we all know what assuming can do to a person.

Overall I think that the article I chose is a good example on how an article can be accurate on what it is reporting on. I did not do any extra investigating on any of the quotes that were in the article to verify if they were quoted in the correct context. However the quotes that were used in the article seem to come from those that would have been quoted by other news outlets, other then just the Bangor Daily. Meg Haskell also notes at the end that some of the info came from The Associated Press, so if I wanted to double check any of the quotes used I would start there. Overall the entire article seems to be made up of about 75% from the quotes of those that were interviewed. So the entire article is told to us by those who were involved on both sides using what they said. Haskell even takes an except from the email that started it all. So there is plenty of facts in the article due to all the quotes that are used. Even when Haskell is not using any quotes she still notes where she gets her info, instead of filling in between quotes with her own assumptions on the matter. Like I already stated there is plenty in the article that someone could double check on if they wanted to. I think it is this reason that helps to show the accuracy of the article itself, because when your making things up you don't want to give your readers anything they could use to prove you wrong.

You can read the article yourself here and see how accurate you think it is.
http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/119515.html

No comments:

Post a Comment